Skip to Content
Schedule a Consultation 713-766-5355

Penalties for Failure to Follow Child Visitation Agreements


When a parent, grandparent, or other caretaker is given child visitation rights after a child custody hearing, these rights are legally enforceable. If a party to this visitation agreement violates the terms of the visitation arrangement, they may face harsh penalties from the court as a result. However, the parent or individual whose rights were violated may need to take legal steps to get the court to act on the violator’s wrongdoing.

Houston parents and caretakers who have the right to see their children shouldn’t have to put up with the unlawful behavior of the child’s custodian. At Diggs & Sadler, we advise parents and other individuals regarding their legal options to enforce child visitation agreements, and we can help them take action through the courts.

Punishments for Violating Child Visitation Agreements

The court has several penalties it can assign to someone who has violated the terms of their visitation agreement. The following punishments may be levied by the court for issues related to visitation agreement violations:

  • If an individual doesn’t appear in court as ordered for a visitation hearing, he or she may be arrested and be held in contempt
  • Contempt charges, either from a missed court appearance or failure to abide by the original visitation agreement, may result in a jail sentence
  • Contempt charges may also result in heavy financial penalties
  • Violations of child visitation agreements can result in modifications to the original agreement

Whether you have been wrongfully denied your visitation rights or your child’s other parent is not respecting the visitation arrangement, you should talk to an attorney about your options.

Contact a Child Custody Law Firm in Houston

If you are not allowed to see your child as per court order, or if someone is demanding visitation outside the bounds of a court-ordered arrangement, you may be able to seek justice. For more information about your options in addressing these child custody disputes in Houston, contact an attorney from Diggs & Sadler today by calling (713) 766-5355.

Share To: