Modifications of Custody Orders Putting Clients First. Always.

Houston Custody Modification Attorneys

Working with You to Adjust a Custody Order

Filing a modification case can help you change the terms of an existing custody order, obtaining a more favorable arrangement in your case. Our Houston custody modification lawyers will work with you to pursue the optimal outcome in your custody modification case.

To schedule a consultation with our team, contact us online or via phone at (713) 766-5355.

How Does Custody Order Modification Work in Texas?

In Texas, parents have two options when they want to modify a custody order:

  1. File an agreed modification. If both parties involved in the custody order agree that modifying the order serves the child's best interests, they can draft an agreement detailing how they want to modify the order. The parties can file an agreed modification case with the court. The court will review the proposed modification to ensure it suits the child's best interests and then the court will either approve or reject the modification. Generally, getting an agreed modification approved and signed by the court takes relatively little time, especially if the parties work with modification attorneys to ensure the agreement is legally sound.
  2. Proceed with a contested modification. If the parties disagree on whether a custody order should be modified, the party who wishes to modify the order must file a petition to modify the parent-child relationship. At trial, both parties will have the opportunity to appear in court and present evidence to the judge supporting their case. The court will then make a final decision to either grant or deny the modification.

You can file a custody modification case with the same court that issued the original custody order. If you're interested in filing a custody modification case, you should consider working with an experienced custody modification attorney to ensure you file the case properly and have sufficient evidence to support your argument in front of the court.

How do Texas Courts Decide Whether to Modify a Custody Order?

To obtain an order modification from a court, the person requesting modification (the petitioner) must prove that:

  • The circumstances of the child or either custodial party have changed materially and substantially since the court first issued the order. Typically, this means that one party lost their job, got a promotion, remarried, or experienced another significant life development.
  • The child is at least 12 years old and expresses to the court in chamber’s the child’s desire to modify the order.
  • The primary custodial party has allowed the child to live with a different party for at least six months.

At Diggs & Sadler, we regularly work with parents to help them modify custody orders and obtain an order that reflects their current circumstances more accurately.

To schedule a consultation with our team, contact us online or via phone at (713) 766-5355.

Experience the Difference

A Tradition of Excellence 
  • A Team-Based Approach

    When you hire one attorney at Diggs & Sadler, you receive the experience, knowledge and insight of our team.

  • Always Prepared for Trial

    Our attorneys prepare for war so we can negotiate peace. We are not afraid to go to trial if it is in the client's best interest.

  • Strategic Representation

    Each case is reviewed by our team to ensure we are crafting a case strategy that will help you achieve a satisfactory result.

  • We Put Clients First

    At our firm, the client drives our goals. We put you and your needs first while focusing on providing a personalized approach for your unique case.

Meet Our Team

With more than 125 years of combined experience, our team is ready to take on the most challenging family law cases. 

Client Testimonials

Striving to Achieve the Best Possible Result
  • “I would highly recommend Diggs & Sadler to anyone needing family law representation in the Houston area.”

    - James M.
  • “Diggs & Sadler gave me great advice, stayed on top of things, and explained everything very clearly to me.”

    - Chris G.
  • “If your going through any family law issue, this is the firm to call. I would give 10 stars if I could.”

    - Leslie J.
We Are In This Together No matter the complexity, we will guide you to a resolution.