Skip to Content
Schedule a Consultation 713-766-5355

Out-of-State Child Support Enforcement


When a parent expected to pay child support moves out-of-state or flees to another state, the individual may believe that the child support order is no longer enforceable. However, this isn’t the case. States will generally work closely with each other to collect back child support, allowing custodial parents to get the support their families need. While this is much easier now thanks to the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, Houston parents may still require the skilled, experienced legal help available from Diggs & Sadler to secure the full child support they deserve.

What Options Are Available for Out-of-State Enforcement of Child Support?

The enforcement options available within Texas are often mirrored by the enforcement options for out-of-state cases, as all states have passed a version of the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA). The following types of action may be taken by a parent wanting to enforce a standing court order for child support:

  • Filing for wage garnishment with an out-of-state employer
  • Filing a Texas child support order in that parent’s new state for full enforcement remedies
  • Filing a case after establishing the order in the new state, resulting in potential criminal penalties for the delinquent parent

Although this process has become simpler due to the uniformity of state child support enforcement laws, it can still be somewhat confusing without legal assistance. As such, a parent considering a child support enforcement action may want to discuss his or her legal options in further detail with an experienced legal advisor.

Contact an Enforcement of Child Support Law Firm in Houston

If your child’s other parent has failed to pay his or her fair share of child support, there may be legal options available to help you fight for the enforcement of child support orders, no matter the delinquent parent’s home state. To learn more about how we can help you prepare a child support, child visitation, or child custody case, contact an attorney from Diggs & Sadler at (713) 766-5355 today.

Share To: